Innovation in risk assessment

In 2009, the new approach to risk assessment was consolidated; such an approach is the result of applying a model that considers the specific characteristics of individuals and outlines how Intesa Sanpaolo can implement security measures according to an original interpretation of focus on individuals. The “Risk Assessment Document” report includes, in addition to the traditional approach of assessing the risks connected with objective conditions (assessment of workplaces, equipment, plants), a method for assessment of the risks connected with subjective aspects. These consider differences in gender, age and origin from other countries.
Based on this approach the risk assessment for the entire Group in Italy was completed. Upon conclusion of the assessment, activities aimed at reducing and, where possible, eliminating any risk situations were started, starting from those considered most significant.

The regulatory alignment to ensure compliance with the innovations introduced by the Consolidated law on health and security at work continued and the upgrade of business processes that define rules and their operating procedures related to the management of health and security risks for employees was completed. Of note is the issuance of “Regole in materia di salute e sicurezza nei luoghi di lavoro” (Rules regarding health and security in the work place) at the Italian Group’s companies.
To increasingly safeguard health in the workplace over 1,420 specific site inspections were effected, for fire hazards and for the presence of asbestos and radon gas in buildings, while specific analyses on the quality of indoor air environments were also carried out.
In 2009, no relevant sanctions regarding non-compliance with the regulations on health and security in the workplace were issued.
Applying an updated and uniform health protocol for all companies, qualified physicians belonging to the Group healthcare network carried out over 3,500 visits as part of the healthcare for staff working at video terminals or exposed to other specific risks (moving loads, night work, etc.).
With a structured and timely information campaign throughout the Group, the trend of the “swine flu” H1N1epidemic was carefully tracked, and guidance was offered about information channels which carried the main rules for prevention, the importance of vaccinations, with special attention given to the personnel at risk, such as employees who make frequent trips abroad. In the Ukraine and Egypt, where the epidemic became an emergency, the Group banks active in those countries implemented specific initiatives for informing and granting special permits to their employees.

A study was launched to evaluate the feasibility of installing semi-automatic external defibrillators (SAED), devices that are useful to provide immediate aid in cases of sudden cardiac death (SCD) in the central headquarters of the Banche dei Territori, starting from 2010. Ventricular fibrillation is the most common cause (about 90%) of sudden cardiac death. Early defibrillation offers a real chance of survival and its percentage of effectiveness is reduced by 10% for every minute that passes following the event. These devices, operated by a properly trained operator following an assessment of ventricular fibrillation or ventricular tachycardia (cause of 90% of SCDs), administer the electric shock needed. These devices will be available to employees, customers and the areas where they are installed.

The Quality Management System implemented by the Group Prevention and Protection Department was also verified in 2009 by a third party and found to comply with the requirements of European Standard EN ISO 9001 ISO 9001/UNI – Ed. 2000
The activities of the Commission for Monitoring Security and Sustainable Development), which is composed of Company and workers representatives and which keeps the operational model adopted for physical security and the information on major planning activities on health and security up to date, continued.